For me, planning for a trip is half the fun. I already feel excited before the actual trip. Planning for a trip is a side-tracking activity that I actually like.
I’ve never really written about how I did this planning process in my other traveling blogs. So, this time, I want to share how I prepared the trip to Korea.
Let’s see…..where should we start? Hem….okay……
For me, the first thing that I have to decide when planning a trip is: WHEN to travel.
It’s important because:
1. I’m an employee, so I have to follow the company’s rules about taking day off for travelling. Careful planning will make sure that I will be able to finish the jobs/projects on time before leaving for a trip. I won’t be able to enjoy the trip if there’s unfinished business at the office. Actually, informing my direct supervisor months in advance usually will make it easier to get the permission for taking the days off from work.
2. Deciding when to travel will affect the itinerary of the trip. For this trip to Korea, I decided that I wanted to see autumn leaves at Mt Seorak. Looking up for the information about “danpoong” (단풍) or the peak autumn colors from the internet helped me decided to travel on during early November 2013. At first I decided to see the southern part of Korea first but after studying about the foliage peak color, I changed my itinerary and visited Mt Seorak soon after arriving in Korea because the autumn color appears on the northern part first and then slowly move to the southern part of the country.
3. Having a decided date to travel will make it easier when hunting for the (cheaper) airplane tickets. The biggest expense for a trip is usually the plane tickets. Too keep the cost down, I usually travel during low season. Somehow, most people travel during summer or spring and that’s why the airplane tickets and the hotel during those seasons are more expensive. For me, the prettiest scenery in 4-seasons countries can be found during autumn. That’s why I usually chose to travel in autumn.
4. Knowing the travel date will also make it easier to coordinate the schedule with other friends. Sometimes when I travel, I have friends that I want to visit during the trip. I have friends in Korea and by letting them know in advance about my travelling plan helped us to coordinate our schedules.
5. Deciding on the travel date helps me manage my finances. How? I think I better explain this topic further in another post. I will tell you about my financing tricks later.
What else? hem…can’t think of any….
Well, that’s the first step of planning the trip. Next step will be revealed in my next post. See you later ^_^